Not going to lie, this year has been really rough for me. I started an entirely new chapter in my book called, "Life." Except this chapter is called, "The moment Rachel Leaves, something bad happens," and that is exactly what happened.

I moved away to start my masters program in a city not too far from home. I was so excited to earn my master's degree, the first in my family. Walking to class one Friday afternoon, I received a phone call from my dad, hysterically crying, "she's gone, momma's gone." Losing my mother was my biggest fear. Weeks away from successfully discharging from my long-term therapist, I found myself wrapped back in for at least another year of therapy sessions.

On top of my grief for my mother, my depression and anxiety have magnified. The stressors of school, my job, and the relationship with my father have created a roller coaster ride, with me in the front seat. It has been 10 months since my mother's death and I am still struggling with acceptance and proper self-care/coping strategies.

I believe in my ability to achieve goals and embrace my resiliency, yet it is so hard some days. When I began graduate school, I had so many goals and dreams for myself. My passion was to work with children from lower-income families, specifically those who have suffered from abuse and neglect. I strive to be become a truly effective, empathetic, and resourceful social worker. As those are still my goals today, I continue to battle my demons and be kind with myself.

 This blog will describe my journey towards self-improvement and -love, learning how to accept my depression and anxiety, as something that does not define me, and how to live a better life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's talk about self-compassion

Cognitive Distortions

Gardening & Growth