Let's talk about self-compassion

I'm not writing this because I want a pity party or the attention to be focused on me - I'm writing this because I'm tired. I've worked 25 hours in two days on maybe...6 hours of sleep. I have to do this to pay for rent, to pay for food and my bills. No, I'm not splurging and buying lots of expensive things, I'm dipping more and more into my savings funds because I have shit to take care of.

There's days where I feel like doing everything on my to-do list and days where I just want to lay in bed all day long. I've finally come to the acceptance of having those mixed emotions. I'm busy and I have things to do. I am a motherless daughter
who is a full-time employee and graduate student.

Sometimes life sucks and there's nothing I can do about it.

This is where Self-compassion comes in and takes care of everything, whisking away my problems. Yeah right, but we'll go with it. We'll give it a shot.

Criticism can be a good thing and bad thing, notice the AND. What I've learned from self-compassion, it is okay to be experiencing the good and bad. For an example, I wish my mom was still alive, and I'm glad she's not in pain. For the longest time, I struggled with this. I'd say, I'm so glad mom's not in pain anymore, but I want her back so badly. Notice the but. 

See how one is more accepting and other is more dismissing.

With all the stress and BS in this world, take some self-compassion. You're busy and you're a rockstar. Depression sucks and it's okay to have a night to yourself. Be kind to yourself, you're doing what you can, and you're doing well.

Here's a video about Self-compassion for those that are visual learners. Don't mind the odd transitional sounds, focus on the context.

If interested, this is an amazing website which explains more about self-compassion, check it out More Self-Compassion


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cognitive Distortions

Gardening & Growth